When Considering Surrender:
- CGPR will take in Pyrs directly from owners on a case-by-case basis as determined by the president.
- We accept only full Pyrs. We do not accept mixed-breed dogs or other breeds.
- If appropriate, the president will advise on behavior modification before committing to accept a Pyr.
- We cannot accept aggressive or otherwise unadoptable dogs.
- We prioritize the intake of Pyrs at kill-shelters throughout the Carolinas. For this reason, we accept owner surrenders using a waiting list. Sometimes, we have space for a dog within a few days. At other times, we will not have an open kennel for several weeks or longer.
- We ask that owners spay/neuter and fully vaccinate the Pyr before surrendering it.
- We appreciate donations to cover the cost of care until a Pyr is rehomed.
- We ask owners to transport the dogs directly to our kennels in Indian Trail, NC.
- We cannot promise open adoptions. Some adoptive families are willing to keep surrendering owners updated about the dog. Others are not.
- You must fill out our Owner Surrender form completing all entries as the first step- we can not respond to anyone about surrenders until you have fully completed this form for us to review.
- A volunteer will respond within five business days (but usually much sooner). If we can accept a dog, we will notify the owner of the dog’s place on our waiting list. Owners are welcome to email president@carolinapyrrescue.
com for an update on the dog’s status.
- When we have an open kennel, we will contact the owner to schedule delivery. Please bring the dog’s medical records, particularly proof of vaccination. The owner will sign a legal contract surrendering the dog to CGPR.
- Those who would like updates on the placement of the Pyr are welcome to email president@carolinapyrrescue.